How do you feel about Black Friday sales? Love them or hate them? One might say that if you want to live sustainably, you should not shop at all. But that is not realistic for everyone. Thus even though I am not a big fan of Black Friday, I think the whole concept can be turned into something good. How? Well, it is all about the intention. So let’s have a look at how to take advantage of Black Friday in 2021 when you live sustainably.
3 TIPS TO SHOP SUSTAINABLY THIS BLACK FRIDAY
1) Visit a local second-hand, charity store, or a car boot sale. If you prefer online shopping, visit myprivatedressing.ch (Swiss second-hand website) or Vestiaire Collective (international). Organize a clothing swap party with your friends and/or colleagues. Check out apps and websites such as Vinted (international), Depop (international), Anibis (Swiss), Ricardo (Swiss), or Facebook Marketplace (international) to get pre-loved clothes for a bargain.
2) If you want to buy new clothes, look for sustainable materials: organic cotton, non-mulesed wool, recycled cotton, cashmere or wool; bamboo, or linen. Avoid synthetic materials such as polyester, viscose, or nylon. Also, look for certifications such as OEKO-TEX 100®, GOTS, Responsible Wool, the LEATHER STANDARD by OEKO-TEX®, or Better Cotton Initiative.
3) Choose ethical, sustainable, fair, and inclusive brands – I list some of my favorite below. I cannot promise that they will all participate in the sales. But you should check closer to 26 November 2021 (the Black Friday) to see which of them will. Some of the brands are Swiss, some international.
- JARDIN DES MONTS – natural and organic Swiss beauty brand. I have a special discount code for you- “Miriam15.” You can use anytime to get 15% discount at checkout. It is not tied to the Black Friday.
- NOOII – organic Swiss beauty brand.
Look for recycled wool, cashmere or cotton, and non-mulesed wool. If you look for new clothes, check these sustainable brands:
- 26 SPIRITS OF SWITZERLAND – Swiss watch brand (read my review). Use code “MIRI30” to get 30% off your purchase at the checkout. You can use it anytime – it is not tied to the Black Friday.
- THE LITTLE MARKET
- ACCESSORIES from BUBBLE ETHIC eco-responsible store in Nyon.
Did you find my article on how to take advantage of Black Friday in 2021 helpful? Do you know about a sustainable brand that will participate in the Black Friday/ Cyber Monday sales? Let me know in the comments below.