Are you happy that autumn is just around the corner? I was not very excited about it a few weeks ago but once the leaves started changing colors, I warmed up to it. And as I started getting my closet ready for fall, I decided to share five tips on how to transition your capsule wardrobe to fall.
5 TIPS TO TRANSITION YOUR SUMMER CAPSULE WARDROBE TO FALL
- Don’t buy new clothes. Instead, “shop your closet.” Look for clothes that you can use for layering (such as t-shirts) or cover up when the temperature is low (such as a cardigan, denim jacket, or a trench coat). I always check the box with winter clothes when I transition from winter to spring and from summer to fall. It is surprising, but I tend to forget what clothes I put away. And it feels as if I shop my closet.
- If you need to buy new clothes, check your local consignment store, second hands, or online platforms such as Depop, Vinted, or ThredUp that sell pre-loved garments. If second-hand clothes are not for you, look for brands that sell ethical and sustainable fashion.
- What is your color palette? Ensure that you respect “your colors” even when you’re transitioning from one season to another.
- Think about the weather and choose appropriate materials. For example, I will pack up light summer dresses, silk tops, and linen pants. Instead, cotton and denim will become my favorites. I don’t wear wool and cashmere in early fall since the weather in Switzerland is not so cold. It is only in November that I bring up my cashmere roll necks and wool jackets from the basement.
- Stockings, socks, hats, and scarves can make a huge difference once the weather gets chilly. I am a big fan of hats and scarves. They are elegant and chic and can upgrade any look.
How do you like to update your closet to be ready for fall? Let me know in the comments below.