When it comes to Halloween, most of us automatically think of costumes, trick-or-treating, parties, costumes, and jack-o-lanterns. But there is another, more peaceful and spiritual side to this celebration.
It is believed that it originated from the ancient Celtic harvest festival Samhain.
It is observed every year on the 31 of October, the eve of All Saints’ Day.
From the spiritual point of view, Halloween is celebrated at the time when days get shorter and the nights get longer. It is the time when the harvest is finished, and everyone is preparing for cold winter nights. But before we get comfortable in front of the fireplace, we can use this time to let go of thoughts, habits, or things that don’t serve us.
Look at the trees. They are not afraid to lose their leaves. You as well can leave behind what you do not need to carry with you anymore. You can give away your old things, acknowledge and decide to stop with unhealthy habits, end relationships that don’t bring you any pleasure.
As it is the time of thinning the veil between life and death and bringing what is in the shadows to the light, we as well can bring to our attention what we don’t want to see.
- You can contemplate on it, start journalling, and my favorite is a practice of letting go. Write down on a piece of paper all that is bothering you. Roll it and bury it in the garden. If you do not have a garden, burn it on your balcony. If there is a river nearby, throw the piece of paper in the water. It is liberating to watch your problems being carried away.
- Alternatively, if you know how to read Tarot cards, gather a group of friends do Tarot reading evening.
- If you prefer to spend Halloween quietly, do something that helps you to relax. Take a long bath, have a facial, find a quiet room in your house to read a book.
- My favorite way to use time mindfully is to color mandalas or meditate. Coloring is calming, relaxing, and you can do it no matter your age.
- If you are spending the evening at home with your partner, suggest giving each other a gentle back massage. Use calming essential oils such as Lavender or Ylang Ylang.
- Do-it-yourself Halloween project is a beautiful way to decorate your house according to your taste and without breaking your budget. You can carve or paint pumpkins, made animals from chestnuts and flowers from fallen leaves.
So those are some of my ideas to spend Halloween with a clear and calm mind. I understand that for some, watching a scary movie is relaxing, but I get scared quickly and keep having nightmares forever. I decided to celebrate Halloween peacefully and calmly rather than create negative feelings and energy inside me after watching a horror.
How will you spend Halloween this year?