Before giving birth, I made a list of essential items. I surmised that I would need all of them (such as Silverette nipple cups), bought them and ended up giving half of them away. The other half is collecting dust in my closet. With so many gadgets on the market it is easy to get distracted from what is really essential.
Besides stroller, baby crib, car seat and a diaper bag, what would I recommend to a new mom?
P.S.: Apologies for the quality of photos- most of them were taken by my mobile phone.
Breast pump is really important for several reasons: if you have a lot of milk, pumping can prevent breast engorgement. It happened to me when I did not have time to pump. It can be easily misdiagnosed as cold because it has similar symptoms.
(Chloe-Sofia on her first day)
Pumping can also help when you don’t know how much milk you are really producing. If I did not start pumping, I would never know that I did not have enough milk and that Chloe-Sofia was crying because she was hungry.
I got a whole set from Avent before Chloe-Sofia was born. We used them at the beginning until our friends introduced us to MAM bottles. Now we use their anti-colic bottles and sterilize them in a microwave. It is extremely practical and Chlo-Sofia prefers them to Avent. In order to keep infant formula warm when I am out, I use insulated bottle cover.
PACIFIER & PACIFIER HOLDER
I got several from MAM. They are made from soft silicon and I especially like the fluorescent ones for night. You immediately see where it is and don’t have to put on the light.
To make sure they don’t end up on the floor, I attach them to holders and clips from Trendy Mama and Chloé & Alexandre. I like these brands because they are Swiss and were created by women who are mothers.
I used to swaddle Chloe-Sofia a lot at night and during the day when she was fussing and couldn’t fall asleep. It worked like a miracle. I used these large swaddling blankets when it was hot and Miracle blankets when the weather cooled down.
Lately, she has had a hard time going back to sleep after her early morning feed. What helps is my old breastfeeding pillow. She likes to sleep in it, because she is elevated and has less reflux.
– I got several carriers. I admit, I am a hoarder. 🙂
1) Ergobaby Original Baby Carrier with Infant Insert is perfect in cooler weather. The infant insert, which you have to use until the baby is 3-months-old, is too warm for summer.
2) Ergobaby Wrap. It is great when your baby likes to sleep on your chest. It allows you to do things around the house and it is easy to wrap around your body. I learnt how to wrap it from the instructional videos on their website. As you can see on the following photo, it keeps your hands free when you go shopping.
3) I also use Lalabu Sooth Shirt at home when I am sitting on a sofa and my little one wants to cuddle. It is really practical and easy to use. It is not a baby carrier though so you should always support your baby with one hand. What I love about this brand the most is that they support mom entrepreneurs in Africa by micro-financing their businesses. It is so inspirational that I keep thinking how I can do the same.
(When Chloe-Sofia was only few weeks old. She always had this expression when she was smaller.)
We found a really cute pair in a store with optical glasses for kids and adults. I think they will fit her better when her nose gets a bit bigger. For now they keep sliding down. But they are super cute and our Pediatrician recommended that we get them to protect her eyesight. I still find their importance questionable but better safe than sorry, right?
– We used white noise during the night when Chloe-Sofia was very small. I liked Sleepy Sounds application that you can download on your Ipad. Now she falls asleep anywhere and everywhere.
BLANKET FOR SHADING YOUR STROLLER
– I found the Original Dooky cover very helpful when it is hot and sunny. It helps to shade the stroller quite well. Although, when the sun gets in the stroller from the side, you have to use a large blanket to cover the corners that exposed. If you don’t want to spend too much money, you can use a swaddle blanket like the ones from Aden & Annaïs that I mentioned above. Nevertheless, it is always better (and safer for your baby) if you can get a parasol. Most brands offer parasols for strollers as well.
I love Petit Bateau but it runs small. Better try the size on your baby before buying. H&M is very good (and true to size), C&A has very good basics, Carter’s is a great brand but available only online in Switzerland. Manor (department store) has a very good baby brand Mon Coeur– and it runs large.